It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:04 am

Gregory the Great: Defender of Papal Supremacy? 

New post Gregory the Great: Defender of Papal Supremacy?
I published a Google+ post some time ago against my which my father (who is still Orthodox) posted an article from orthodox-info.com entitled, GREGORY THE GREAT: DEFENDER OF PAPAL SUPREMACY?. I have been doing research on the controversy between St. Gregory the Great and John the Faster on the question of the title "Universal Bishop", and I wanted to know if the Bellarmine forums had any helpful sources or comments to offer. The resources I've been most impressed with so far are the The "Universal" Bishop Controversy on Philvaz.com along with the Registrum Epistolarum of St. Gregory on newadvent.org. The controversy is of special significance to the Orthodox because they accept Gregory as a Saint, so my question is: how would you prove to an Orthodox schismatic that Pope St. Gregory the Great was Catholic, not Orthodox?

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:31 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Gregory the Great: Defender of Papal Supremacy?
Well despite him being considered a Saint, the Orthodox are quite unreasonable. Even if you are able to prove that this is a doctrine that was held by +H.H. Saint Leo the Great+ they are not going to budge because they will simply say that it is not "holy tradition" of the Eastern Father's and it is just the doctrine of one "Saint." It might help your father see, but with most Orthodox their understand of the Father's is similar to that of the Arians, they are only interested in them in so far as they promote their garbage theological system.

Saint Athanasius had an interesting quote how some people forget to read the entire writings of a particular Father, and how heretics very often just quote a little passage that seems to propose this or that idea, but if you were to read his actual writings you would see that their specific interpretation is quite wrong. I had heard this on a debate between a Catholic and a protestant a while ago, if I remember the exact source I would link it to you. Just in keep in mind what I said, hope you find your answers.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:37 am
Profile E-mail